Saturday, July 4, 2009

The de-swaddling has commenced

Thursday morning I awoke to screaming. This is unusual in our house. She cries when she wakes up and needs to eat, but has a pretty quiet cry. She rarely full-on screams. So I went into her room to find that she had managed to flip herself over onto her tummy. This is problematic because we are still swaddling her at night and for all of her naps, which makes it difficult for her to lift her head while on her tummy, since her arms are stuck inside the blanket. I had actually been really dreading her learning to roll because of this, but it's clearly time, so we are beginning the process of weaning her from the swaddle.

Starting with her first nap of the day on Thursday, we began swaddling her with one arm out. It's a look reminiscent of Michelle Obama at the inauguration. The first nap was about an hour, which is normal for her. The second nap, which is usually 2-3 hours, was around 45 minutes. Not good. She took another 45 minute nap a little later in the afternoon, and by 7 pm, she was not a happy camper. Matt and I had tickets to Starlight that night, so the task of putting her to bed for the first time with her new modified swaddle fell to Aunt Joan. She showed up around 7:15 and began trying to put her to bed when we left at 7:30. When we got home at 11:30, guess who was still awake? I nursed her to sleep and was able to lay her down without any problems. She then proceeded to sleep through the night, woke up for a quick 6am feeding, and went back down until 8:30! She's been doing great ever since. In a few days, if she keeps up the good sleeping, we'll start swaddling with both arms out.

Here are some pictures of her one-arm swaddle. Being the fantastic mother that I am, I allowed her to tip over on the couch while photographing her.


"Hmm, this is an interesting look, Mom"

"I'm falling! Wheeeee!"

"That was fun! Do it again!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment