So I've been reading the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child." It's one of the most respected books out there for dealing with sleep issues, and it's written by one of the countries leading experts on infant sleep. It has always been recommended to me very highly.
So why was I reading this book? What kind of sleep issues is E having?
NONE!!!!! So why am I reading this book? E is a great sleeper. She takes 3 naps of at least one hour every day. Usually they are closer to 2-3 hours. She goes down easily at night, and only wakes up once to eat. She will occasionally even sleep through the night!
Yet for some reason, I felt compelled to do some research to see if I was doing things right. Rationally, I know that there is no real "right". If what we're doing works for me and works for her, then it's right. But I read it anyway. Or at least I started to. When I got to the part that said my child would grow up to be a addicted to sleeping pills if I didn't make sure she got quality sleep now, I had to stop.
I had to stop because I had to run into the office, where Matt was bouncing Nans to sleep, and announce that he must stop bouncing RIGHT THIS MINUTE!!!!!!!!! Apparently sleep while in motion is not quality sleep, and since I don't intend to raise a drug addict, the bouncing had to end. One short meltdown later (mine, not the baby's) I requested that the book be taken away from me. I may revisit it later, if we actually develop a sleeping problem, but for now I'm going to enjoy my daughter's 6+ hours of bouncing induced sleep at night. We'll deal with the imminent drug addiction later.
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Haha. I read the same thing and freaked out because Eli isn't a good sleeper. I was completely convinced that he would forever be an insomniac and of course, become addicted to sleeping pills. Oh, the lack of sleep would also lower his IQ. I guess no matter how your baby sleeps, you are going to freak out.
Post a Comment